Friday, March 28, 2014

Marzano Scales

I cannot tell you how many different versions I have made of scales.  I don't feel like they "work" for my classes.  Today the students reaffirmed what I've been thinking all along...what's the point? The gifted kids get this "game."  They know that they are to move up the scale as they learn more about a topic and so often times will tell me, "I'm a 3," when we are finished because they know that is where they are supposed to be.

This past quarter, in conjunction with the required scales, I gave the students a checklist for each objective.  The checklist outlined how I would expect learning to occur as students acquired more knowledge and better understanding of an objective.  The kids said that they preferred those to the graph your understanding scales that we have been using school wide this school year.  Here are some downloads of the creations that I made, thought I liked, then went back to the drawing board.  My favorite general one, though, is the puzzle piece.  I keep this up in the classroom in addition to specific scales for each objective.

Puzzle piece general scale
Learning Log with scale
Checklist with the school wide scale

I'm once again in search of something different, something that meets the expectation but has meaning.  I've looked everywhere, but what I've found is for early elementary.

1 comments:

Mrs. Spangler in the Middle said...

I am with you on these scales - they just don't "work". I like your second one for tracking. I made a tracker this year using the Marzano proficiency scales from his website. It's not perfect and I'm still trying to fins one that is more natural too. I posted about it here: http://mrsspanglerinthemiddle.blogspot.com/2014/03/data-notebooks.html Thanks for sharing your scales!

Post a Comment