Friday, August 9, 2013

The Murder Mystery in Room 910

I have quite a few posts that have been sitting in my own queue that I will be getting to shortly.  I have now finished my 3rd week of school.  It's like an old glove now, and as much as I enjoy the anticipation of a new school year, I'm glad we are finally in the swing of things.

During the 1st week, both my 7th and 8th grade classes learned about the scientific process through a murder mystery.  Can I hear an "Oooooh!"  I would highly recommend it for anyone that is looking for beginning the year with a bang.  The kids loved it!  And although we didn't do much in the way of setting up procedures, we did a lot of cooperative work and getting to know you types of fun.

I used the GEMS book, "Mystery Festival."  It does take some time to set it up, but well worth it.  In the end, students had to present their case to our school's resource officer that took time to speak to students about how the technology in forensics has changed in the past several years.









 



4 comments:

Dawnn Montague said...

It looks like it took you a long time to set all of that up, but it looks like so much fun! I would've loved doing this in middle school. I'm definitely pinning this so I don't forget about it. :)

Caught in the Middle said...

I was lucky that someone at our school had done this in the past so some of the lab supplies were already gathered and ready to use. The next time I do this, every thing is in a box that I can just pull out and set up.

5_6ScienceTCCS said...

im new to your blog and teaching MS science, do you happen to have a lesson plan for this? it sounds awesome!

Caught in the Middle said...

No, I don't have a lesson plan since I took it directly from the book fromGEMS. The link is above.

Post a Comment