Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Learning the Periodic Table

I went back to school this week after 2 glorious weeks off.  (Fall break is the reason that I suck it up and go back to school in July.)  I missed Total Package Tuesdays, but I will be back next week.  I was so burnt after an entire day of meetings, I just wanted to unwind when I got home...i.e. not do anything school related.

Today was my first day back with kids, and I did something I rarely do today...I gave an extra credit assignment.  The 8th graders are learning about chemistry this quarter, so I challenged them to learn the periodic table song.  For fun, for a challenge, and for a trick they can someday do at parties to impress their friends.  What they don't know is that it is more to get them to investigate the table than anything else.  There are so many examples out there that they have plenty of tunes and versions to pick from.  One of the students asked if they could write their own song...by all means my overachieving gifted kiddos!  This version was especially motivating...


 

Although I wouldn't expect them to learn all of their names, I'm sure some will take me up on my challenge.  That's what it is really...a challenge.  I plan on making everyone memorize the most important of the elements and their symbols and am working on a new unit full of chemistry games.  Here is a I have, Who has? to practice some of those basics if you'd like a copy...


1 comments:

2peasandadog said...

I love this I have who has game. I always forget about this strategy when I am planning a unit. Thanks for the reminder.

Post a Comment