Thursday, May 17, 2012

Well, it's official...

The dust is finally settling and the packing has begun.  I just learned this week that I've been hired to teach 7th and 8th grade gifted science next year at the school I wanted!  This is definitely not where I thought I'd be a couple of months ago, but it is something that I've been wanting to do for a couple of years now.  This past fall I became highly qualified in middle school science after having my qualifications for math for the past 5 years.  I've loved being in 6th grade, but really wanted to dedicate my time to one subject (not that 2 subjects is much!)

The interview was nearly an hour, and after I was done I immediately began critiquing myself.  I talk too much, maybe I wasn't serious enough, I've never taught junior high, I've never taught whole class gifted, I've never taught this science curriculum...heck, I'm not sure I would hire me!  Needless to say, I was thrilled to find out that they were willing to take a chance on me.

Now, does anyone know of good gifted blogs??

12 comments:

Corrina Allen said...

Congratulations, Jena!! I look forward to following you throughout your new journey.

Corrina
Diary of a Sixth Grade Teacher

Alana Gilliam said...

Congrats! Welcome to the world of hormones also known as junior high! I love my 8th graders! I hope you enjoy it too!
Alana
Special Teaching in the Middle

Addie Williams said...

Wow!! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be wonderful and will rise to the challenge. Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Addie
Teacher Talk

Melissa said...

My friend Missy teaches gifted education, and I could send you her email if you like!

Ms. D said...

CONGRATS!!!! WOO-HOO!!! Sending you smiles and best wishes!

Lisa Tilmon said...

Congrats on your new placement! I teach 7th and 8th grade math and am sure you will love your new grade level.

Check out these blogs:
www.venspired.com by Krissy Venosdale (gifted 3-6 but amazing and loves science)

www.middleschoolscience.com (check out the notebooks tab for 7th grade interactive notebooks)

Caught in the Middle said...

Thanks for all the well wishes! I started packing and panicking today...I hate the panicking part. I just wish I had more than a 6 week summer to prepare. :) Melissa, please do. I'd love to hear what others do with that position. Lisa, as always, thanks for your help. I've packed up your games for now in hopes that someday I'll be back to teach my first passion.

My 6th graders this past week have been an absolute bear, and more than a couple of times I've wondered if I made a mistake. But I keep telling myself that the beginning of every year is different.

Life in Middle School said...

Congrats! As a packing expert, (heehee) I'd recommend throwing a bunch of stuff away. I couldn't believe how much junk I realized I was hauling around for no reason!

I think that you'll find it amazing and you'll be so very happy that you made the switch! Congrats again!

Lauren
Life in Middle School
http://middleschoolforlife.blogspot.com/

A Gifted Life said...

Congratulations! I started following your blog recently and love it!

I am entering my second year as a teacher...and a gifted teacher. Glad to see another "gifted" blogger!

Feel free to stop by my blog. It's small now, I know, but I have a feeling it will fill up quickly!

Ashley
http://a-gifted-life.blogspot.com/

Caught in the Middle said...

Ashley~I am your first official follower!!

A Gifted Life said...

You just made me jump for joy!! What an honor! Thank You!!!

Ashley

MaryBeth Spencer said...

Congrats on your new position! I just recently discovered your blog and I was so excited to see more middle-level teacher bloggers!

Though not specific to your needs, I have been teaching science (and a little reading and math) for the past few years and I have a blog with lots of lab ideas.

I recently found out that I am moving to 7th and 8th grade Social Studies, though, so my posts will change quite a bit next year!

http://spencespace.blogspot.com

Post a Comment