Sunday, April 8, 2012

State Tests

I see as I blog hop that I'm not the only one that doesn't really care for these, but they are right around the corner, so I feel like I should do at least some work on critical thinking before the math portion.  I've been on a hunt today to find some test prep that's not so test-like.  I need something that helps my students analyze, read carefully, and answer the question that is being asked.  My kids, through all the assessments I've given and analyzed all year, don't struggle with the actual calculation side of math, it's the analytical side that makes them choke!  I know that our textbook isn't designed for developing long term analytical thinkers, but I also think that kids now live in a time where they want everything to be done right now.  They don't want to mull it over.  They want to do the work and be done with it.  At least mine do, but I'm guessing that I'm not alone.  So...interaction, games, contests, quick paced activities are what I need more than anything to keep their attention while still training them to think, play devils advocate, and look at solving a problem in a new unconventional way.  I'm always on the look out for some new resource.  Here's what I found today.

Math: Can Take you Places
Middle School Math HD ~App (Oh how I wish I had iPads in my room!)
Math Playground
Jefferson Lab ~2 for 1 Science and math
The math forum ~This is the 6th grade page, but they have other grades too.
UEN  ~ more than just math.
Tennessee Dept. of Ed Resources

0 comments:

Post a Comment