Saturday, January 28, 2012

New Teacher Evaluation System

Next year our district is going to a new teacher evaluation system.  Modeled after Marzano, the evaluation  is about ten pages long.  Since my hubby is an administrator, I was taking a look at it the other day.    I didn't even finish reading the first indicator before I thought, I'd better get busy now.  The first indicator had to do with students being engaged and responsible for the day's topic.  They need to be able to state the objective in their own words, the teacher must repeatedly refer back to the objective throughout the lesson, and they must know up front how they will be assessed and should be prompted to self assess.  Here is something that I came up with for a lesson on integers.  Our lesson was a review which was a perfect time for students to self assess.  It was actually quite helpful, as I collected them when they walked out the door.


Name _____________________
Today’s Date _______________
                     Integers
_____I can find integers on a number line.
_____I am good at comparing integers.
_____I can correctly pick 2 signs next to 
each other.  (i.e. 3+(-4))
_____I correctly answer most integer 
problems like the ones in today’s activities.
_____I feel like I can solve integers in 
story problems.
Questions I still have:

I'd love to know if anyone else is using something to help kids be personally responsible for learning throughout the lesson.  I don't feel like reinventing the wheel if I don't have to!

8 comments:

Mrs. Poland said...

Hi Jena - I am currently in Grad school and it looks like I am being trained to teach to fit the new standards. Here is what I do for each of my lesson plans. I will try and create a post about it soon so you can see what I do.

1 - For each lesson I create a "road map" for my students. I need to know what standards I am teaching to then translate this into action-oriented objectives.
2 - Objectives are posted in the classroom on focus boards. These are not lesson specific but rather unit specific.
3 - Everyone loves and knows about emoticons. I use these with my students. A smiley face means - easy, peasy I did that in Kindergarten. A regular face means - I understand what you are asking of me and I can do it. A sad face means - Can you repeat that in English?
4 - Students are asked to put a emoticon in top left corner of all tests (pre-tests included). They an also add this to any assignment. It provides me with a lot of information. For example, a sad face a perfect score tells me they are great guessers, they cheated (hopefully not!), or they have no confidence in their knowledge of the subject.

Sometimes you might need more information or a student would like to discuss it further. I allow my students to email or write me a note.

HTH!
Misty
@ Think, Wonder, & Teach

Sherrie said...

I love the idea of a simple exit slip where they self assess their understanding of the objectives. TFS!

Caught in the Middle said...

Thanks for your insight, Misty! I can't wait to read more about this.

24/7 Teacher said...

You have me thinking... I need to improve in this area. Love your blog! Take care, Nikki

Merry in the Middle said...

Here is an idea that I enjoy. When students leave the room, they must pose a question about what we learned that day. You can't do this everyday but it is an interesting assessment.

Kim said...

Hi Jena:
You've been tagged!
Please come by Joy in Sixth and check it out!

Kim
Finding JOY in 6th Grade

Caught in the Middle said...

Thanks for thinking of me, Kim. I'm just not sure I'm going to have time this week. I will at least try to answer your questions...but for now, I'm going to bed.

Sarah said...

Tag, you're it!

http://teaching-tweens.blogspot.com/2012/02/tagged.html

Post a Comment