Monday, October 17, 2011

Geometry project

Any opportunity I have to give students to compile, analyze, synthesize, and create with activities, I jump at it!  I notice that my students are so accustomed to skill based math work, that they really struggle when I ask them to think outside the box.  This project incorporated multiple geometry skills that we reviewed during 1st quarter.  Students had to create a vacation place with geometry specifics that included finding perimeters, area, angle measures, parallel and perpendicular lines.  Here's what they came up with...











Here is a project that I've used in the past that also incorporates geometry.  In this activity, students use a full page of graph paper.  They use all 4 quadrants and demonstrate understanding of translations, rotation, reflection, dilation, reduction, and labeling coordinate points.