Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Discrete Math -Network Theory

Today's math topic is one of my favorites of the year.  I think I enjoy it so much because I teach it sort of like I teach science...through inquiry. I begin with the story about the Konigsberg Bridge.  It was a real life problem that came about in the 1700 about wanting to cross each of the bridges in the city only once.  Students get a copy of an illustrated map, then using chips they are able to track where they have and have not travelled.  Part of the reason that I love this problem is that there is no answer to the puzzle!  Students are so accustomed to expect an answer that they try to make it work even when it won't.  During my prep today I was looking for some interactive problems and found this!  I love when I find stuff already made for me online!



Here are some additional resources for Euler paths/circuits and Hamilton paths/circuits:
Cut-the-Knot ~interactive
Twists and Turns ~Networks and other discrete math
Amphi Schools ~ Multiple grades and resources

0 comments:

Post a Comment